Remortgage conveyancing quotes

What is  remortgage conveyancing

Conveyancing is the process of transferring the legal title of real property from one person to another. It can also be defined as the process of granting an encumbrance like a mortgage. On the other hand, a remortgage is a process of paying off one mortgage with the proceeds from using the very property as security. Therefore, remortgage conveyancing refers to the legal processes of remortgaging. They need to be handled by a solicitor. When remortgaging, you may need a conveyancing solicitor, especially if there are legal transactions involved.

Remortgage Conveyancing quote

If you would like a no obligation remortgage conveyancing quotes click link below.

Get an Instant Quote >>

Why do you need a conveyancer for the remortgaging process?

Whether or not you need a conveyancer for the process depends on the terms of the remortgaging and circumstances. For instance, if you are looking to stay with the same lender and come up with a new mortgage deal, you may not need legal conveyancing services. However, if you are looking to switch from one lender to another completely, then you need a remortgage conveyancer. The role of the conveyancer in this scenario is to assist with the removal of the interest on the property form one lender to the other.

Remortgage conveyancing is faster than the ordinary conveyancing process for buying or selling a property. The remortgaging solicitor should be done with the process after a few weeks. The reason why it is faster is that;

  • There is no buyer or seller. This means that there are fewer delays while waiting for responses.
  • Most lenders only need a regulated local authority search or an indemnity policy. This means that there is no need for several weeks of work on official searches.

The fact that the process is faster means that the costs of remortgage conveyancing should also be less. In this post, we discuss the ins and outs of remortgage conveyancing quotes.

How much does remortgage conveyancing cost?

Many mortgage providers offer free legal services for clients that are looking to switch their mortgages over to them. However, the firms only do this to entice people to take the deal. Taking the free services is not always a good idea. What happens is that the lenders hire certain law firms to handle all their transactions for a lower cost. This means that the firms have a lot of work to handle because the lenders deal with a lot of clients at the same time. Many are times when these free services end up costing you more. The firms end up being very slow or providing bad services because they are overwhelmed, and they are not getting paid enough for the services. For this reason, it is always wise to consider getting an independent conveyancer to handle your legal work. Of course, the costs will be higher, but the services will also be better.

Factors that affect remortgaging conveyancing costs

Below are some remortgaging conveyancing costs to look out for when comparing prices from various solicitors as well as conveyancing companies;

  • Legal fees- the legal aspect of conveyancing is the most significant. The legal work takes up a majority of the costs of the conveyancing process. First, a legal firm has to be hired to take care of the legal work. The charges also depend on how long the process takes and whether or not there are any legal complications that may require a lot of work.
  • ID Checks- if you are looking to pay off part of your existing mortgage, the solicitor will need to check the source of any of the funds that you are using. This check is a mandatory requirement by the law. It is intended to prevent cases like money laundering. Therefore, the legal firm you hire will need to identify and verify anybody that is involved in the remortgage process. The costs of the process have to be catered for by you.
  • Bankruptcy searches- in the process of remortgaging a property, the lender usually insists on searches against the name of the remortgage in the land charges register. This check aims to reveal is any of the remortgages are currently experiencing bankruptcy or are about to be made bankrupt. This process also costs a considerable amount of money.
    Office copies and title plan- the conveyancer is also tasked with the role of obtaining an official copy of the title deeds or the tittle plan from the official land registry. The copies are used to confirm the details of the property that you want to remortgage. This process is also a tad bit costly.
  • TT fees- Telegraphic Transfer fees, also known as TT fees, are those that are incurred when the solicitor has to electronically transfer any money from your new mortgage lender to the existing one. You will be changed to make sure that the transfer of funds is safely done on your behalf.
  • Land registry fees- Your solicitor is also tasked with the role of filing and informing the land registry of your new arrangements with your new mortgage lender and the savoured agreement with the previous one. The land registry imposes certain fees for the filling process. You may also be required to pay a fee to update the land registry with any new information about your property.

The number of searches you will be required to perform on your property depends on your new mortgage lender and their demands. Most solicitors opt to take out insurance indemnity policies as opposed to playing the conveyancing mentioned above property searches and several others. By doing so, the process becomes relatively cheaper, and the remortgage lenders are easily satisfied. This, therefore, keeps them from making further demands and requests that would otherwise cost more money.

Finding the best remortgage solicitor  quotes

The first thing you should do when choosing a remortgage conveyancer is to find one that is licensed and approved or regulated to handle the process of remortgaging. The internet is a good place to start when looking for such services. Start by compiling a list of remortgage conveyancing lawyers and firms. You can then proceed to compare the fees of the expert remortgage companies and lawyers. You should be able to get an instant quotation from the online sources. However, make sure to compare the costs to the services that are being offered. Look out for any hidden charges and additional fees.

Also, make sure that the solicitor is approved by the new mortgage lender you are looking to work with. If you happen to hire the services of a firm or lawyer that is not authorized by your new lender, you risk ending up paying extra fees. The lender imposes the costs for an approved lender panel solicitor that will be used to represent them in the process. Therefore, it would be wiser to get quotations that allow you to specify your lender hence find a solicitor that is approved by the lender.


Note that you do not need a local solicitor to handle your remortgaging process. Since most conveyancing services are remote, you can always get one that isn’t local to you as long as the lender approves it. The wise decision would be to choose a lender (local or not) that will complete the process fast and one that will not provide shady services.

Get an Instant Quote >>

The content of this article is intended to be used as general information only and should not be used or deemed to be legal advice. We do not accept responsibility for any loss sustained as a result of acts or omissions taken in respect of this article. You should always seek legal advice.

Pulling out of a House Purchase Before Exchange

One of the questions many buyers and sellers ask is, at what point can I pull out of a transaction? First, understand that many times, buyers look to purchase homes with the intention of selling their current properties; unless they are first-time buyers. This process is referred to as a property chain. Should one link of this chain face a glitch, the rest of it is likely to fall apart.

Pulling out of a House Purchase Before Exchange

For the buyer to sell their property quickly, they need the whole chain to remain intact. The reason many buyers, however, back out of a purchase deal may vary from a mortgage offer to developing cold feet. However, all of this results in a costly process. So, to avoid unfavourable consequences, what should be done?

Withdrawal Before the Exchange of Contracts

Until the exchange of contracts in England and Wales, both the buyer and seller of the home can pull out of the deal without incurring serious costs. However we look into this further to provide the full picture.

Get an Instant Quote >>

Should you decide to withdraw from an offer before exchanging contracts, you may face charges. A seller, for instance, must check the existing terms with an estate agent. If the estate agent discovers that the potential buyer has the capacity and the willingness to purchase the property you wish to withdraw from, they will charge you a certain fee. The buyer and the seller should also check with the conveyancer about the terms of the retainer.

The primary stage in the process of conveyancing is the exchange of contracts between the buyer and seller. It acts as a contractual agreement to the completion of the transfer of the title on a certain future date, which is known as completion. During this exchange, the buyer is expected to pay a 10 percent deposit of the purchase price. The 90 percent fee is paid on the day of completion agreed upon prior to the exchange.

Before the date of completion, a lot happens. Huge sums of money are spent and a considerable amount of time spent in finding out if any party has any reason to back out of the deal. Understand that if the conveyancers have also started working on the transaction and it fails to complete, you will be charged on an hourly basis. If the conveyancer has incurred any disbursements, they will also be subject to recompense. Buyers who back out of the deal do not recover both the lender valuation fees and mortgage consultant fees.

When do Buyers Withdraw their Offers?

Before selling a property, sellers begin by looking for an estate agent, a solicitor and listing their property for sale. A potential buyer then views the property and puts an offer. As soon as the seller accepts the offer, the buyer’s solicitor then investigates potential problems with the home before making a purchase. The mortgage company then does valuation and a survey on the property.

At the end of this investigation and before the signing of the contract, most buyers back out due to genuine reasons. Two main reasons lead to this decision, including:

  • The finances of the buyer being inadequate
  • The buyer finding another property or changing their mind

Issues highlighted in the survey may also influence the decision. For instance, if the property is found to have leaking issues or a roof that needs to be replaced, the buyer may need to renegotiate the price. Should the seller be unwilling to alter their offer, the buyer may choose to withdraw.

Note, if the buyer and the seller come into terms and the buyer decides to back out, the seller may choose to go to court and claim that the property buyer is in breach of contract. This could include paying for the seller’s expenses. The seller could ask for compensation for finding another buyer. Before putting an offer on any property, it is advisable to be 100 percent sure that you will afford the property and are willing to make a purchase.

Withdrawal After Contracts are Exchanged

Should a buyer or a seller choose to back out of a contract after it has been completed, the consequence will be treated as a breach of the terms of the legally-binding contract. In such instances, the party not at fault may choose to issue a Notice to Complete.

This notice gives the other side a period of 10 days to complete. The party is expected to pay a daily interest rate. Understand that both parties must complete regardless of who is at fault. This is because even if you are not at fault, you could still be in default. If you fail to complete, the following are some of the consequences to expect:

  • The property seller could re-sell it alongside all contents within the contract
  • When the buyer fails to complete, the seller will have the right to end the contract and keep the 10 percent deposit of the sale price
  • The seller may claim damages
  • Should the seller fail to complete, the buyer will be entitled to end the contract, leaving the seller liable to compensate the buyer with the daily interest within the period of the Notice to Complete
  • The party in default has the right to sue the defaulting side for breach of contract and demand recompense of losses
  • If the buyer is at fault, the seller may claim market depreciation losses

What Could Go Wrong on the Completion Day?

Several things could go wrong on the completion day and lead to delay in moving in or a complete fail. On this day, three things happen:

  1. The mortgage lender hands the mortgage to the buyer’s solicitor
  2. The solicitor then organises the transfer of the money to the seller
  3. The seller hands over the keys

This may seem like not too much, but several issues could develop on this day, some of which could lead to the breach of the contract. If on this day, for instance, one party is willing to complete, but the other is not, legally, the contract would face a breach. The Notice to Complete imposes a compensation fee on the party that defaults.

In some cases, the conveyancer could claim that the completion was delayed by at least a day. For instance, if they receive the completion after 2:00 PM or 1:00 PM according to the agreement of the contact, it could be rolled over to the next day. More so, the party serving the notice could claim other fees and argue that they arose from the failure of the completion or delay. The following costs could be claimed:

  • Storage costs: Most sellers have to move their items to a storage facility
  • Mortgage interest: Should, the buyer have their mortgage fees halted as they ready themselves for the completion and the seller fails to complete; the buyer may ask for a reimbursement fee to cover the interest charged
  • Lost income: If the buyer would have rent out their property and the buyer fails to complete, the seller may demand for compensation
  • Accommodation: The breaching party will be required to cover any hotel fees

What if the conveyancing solicitor is at fault? You might ask. The breaching party could argue that the solicitor was at fault for their failure to complete. Usually, the conveyancer solicitor is responsible for allowing the exchange of contracts. The completion day is then set only when:

  • There are sufficient funds for the exchange
  • The property is ready on the day of completion

In some occasions, the house on sale is usually occupied by a tenant, meaning it is not in a position to be re-occupied. If the seller’s solicitor was aware of the situation before the completion, the seller may then seek compensation from the solicitor for causing them to be contractually bound. At such a point, the seller will need to raise a complaint with the law firm. The buyer could also claim:

  • Conveyancing costs
  • Costs of taking out a mortgage
  • Costs of property survey
  • Costs of searches
  • Building insurance costs

The buyer should not just receive their deposit but recompense for any interests attracted by the deposit from the date of the exchange. If you are a buyer considering to pull out an exchange, decide if the deposit is worth losing. For a seller considering to sell quickly, notice that potential buyers will be curious to find out why you are in so much hurry to sell to take advantage of the benefits that come with pulling out of an exchange.

Get an Instant Quote >>

How can you Reduce the Risk?

There are certain things you can do to protect yourself from the pain of losses experienced when pulling out of an exchange. Whether it is a change of heart, circumstance or the fault of your solicitor, it can be tough to protect yourself from a failed completion. Below, we tell you what you can do,

Reduce the Exchange and the Completion Time

The longer the time taken between an exchange and completion, the higher the chances of either side pulling out. The solution is to limit the time to the minimum period. If possible, you could exchange and complete on the same day.

Evict Tenants Before the Exchange

Before the completion takes place, ensure that your property is vacant. Should you fail to evict your tenant before the day of completion, you would be breaching the contract. If you still have your property occupied, halt the completion.

Have an In-Date Mortgage Offer Before the Exchange

Before the exchange, as a buyer, ensure that you have the capacity to pay for the property. It is for this reason that most solicitors do not allow buyers to buy a property before getting a mortgage offer. A mortgage offer is necessary for contracts lasting up to 6 months and could expire before the property is built. If you do not have a mortgage offer, you run the risk of needing to get one when served with the notice of completion. Understand that the notice of completion has a grace period of only 10 days, failure to which you could end up losing your deposit fee.

Limit Losses

After the exchange of the contract, the risk of the transaction failing to complete is minimal. However, there are things you could do to limit potential risk. For instance, it is advisable to have some legal cover, in case a transaction falls through. Also, look for insurance providers who can protect you when a transaction fails. The cost of losing your 10 percent deposit may not be covered by the insurance policy, but you could insure your conveyancer search costs and mortgage valuation. If at the point of getting your insurance cover you have incurred several costs, check if the policy could reclaim any of it.

Both the buyer and the seller can pull out of a deal before the exchange of contracts without having to incur major costs. However, if the party that did not pull out sustains other losses within this period such as the conveyancing fee, mortgage costs, survey costs, rental charges, among others, nothing could stop them from suing for breach of contract.

Get an Instant Quote >>

The content of this article is intended to be used as general information only and should not be used or deemed to be legal advice. We do not accept responsibility for any loss sustained as a result of acts or omissions taken in respect of this article. You should always seek legal advice.

What is Lender Exchange

Lender exchange refers to a service that is a creation of Decision First whose intention was to facilitate easy interactions among lenders and solicitors. The intent was to help in the reduction of risk that is brought about by fraud as it offers a safe portal that can be used in the exchange of useful information.

Who is using the Lender Exchange

Currently, lenders that are on board include Lloyds Banking Group, Santander, Royal Bank of Scotland Group as well as HSBC Bank. The safe web portal is meant to address the concern of having multiple lenders seek the same data offered by law firms as a way of managing the different conveyancing panels under them.

It makes it possible for the submission of data by law firms through a single, secure system where lenders who are part of the scheme can access data that, in turn, allows them manage different panels independently.

The Genesis of Lender Exchange

Recently, mortgage lenders struggled with major risks caused by fraud surrounding mortgages, which led to massive losses. As such, lenders have been on the lookout for additional information that law firms supply regarding the operations of their business, as well as about the employed individuals.

Decision First took the bold step to develop this famous Lender Exchange, which enables law firms with offering their lenders the right information for the management of their panels better. This move aimed to meet all added regulatory requirements that lenders are expected to match as a conduct being alert before engaging in any transaction.

Law firms also tend to benefit by having to supply the needed information only once and the centralized point helps, thus majorly reducing impacts of having to deal with several requests.

Can Lenders appoint unregistered conveyancers to be part of panels without having to be registered?

Lenders have the option of choosing their panel composition. Lenders that sign up, meet mandatory conditions required for panel membership, including the need for firms to submit information through Lender Exchange platform.

How do Clients Benefit?

Several gains result from using Lender Exchange. Lender Exchange website came into existence to fix the problem of more than one lender needing to access the same content from relevant law firms in order for them to better manage their own conveyancing panels, it was also driven by the need for lenders to minimize their risks. Many lenders are paying more attention on using Lender Exchange which means that law firms also gain in the process because they get to supply their content one time as opposed to when they would do it repetitively.

One of the most important gains is reduced administration. The platform is specifically designed to reduce or eliminate delays for clients. Before, a lot of bureaucracy led to delays that interfered with proper business execution.

According to the system, lenders can send varied mortgage offers targeting solicitors via electronic means. Adopting the electronic channels helps quicken the process compared to the older Document Exchange or postal service.

Conveyance companies tend to be well-equipped to receive documents electronically, meaning that they can efficiently handle documents they receive via Lender Exchange Usually, mortgages offers are often followed by forms that include Mortgage Deeds, that are provided to clients for them to append their signatures.

Before the existence of Lender Exchange, offers would be without necessary accompanying documents, which would, in turn, trigger avoidable delays since solicitors would be forced to ask for the forms independently. The Lender Exchange’s task is to make standard documents like Mortgage Deeds. They also ensure that the Mortgage consent forms can easily be accessed and downloaded. The possibility of manually downloading forms makes it possible for solicitors to prevent delays.

While not many clients may not know about Lender Exchange, it is still possible for them to benefit when they make use of this effective system. Having to wait until lenders are able to procure mortgage documents may result in unnecessary and avoidable delays, not to mention the stress that comes with it, hence hurting clients. This platform is a representation of a newer communication channel that can help deal with the said delays.

Why are Many People not Signing Up

One may wonder why many conveyance companies are not already on board yet this seems to be an excellent service. Decision First has been active in carrying out discussions concerning Lender Exchange. The company is speaking to many lenders, and may not be able to influence how fast they sign up to the platform.

Some companies have accepted the move faster than others. Apart from the slow signing up, other lenders are already using diverse panel organization techniques including the use of personalized panels, and their governance procedures may vary significantly from other lenders.

Payment of Services

The charging criteria depend on the firm’s size. They are often gauged by how many partners are involved, the members on board, or the directors running the organization, and whether they specialize in conveyancing. The annual fee goes towards the system administration regardless of how many lenders panels a firm applies to. An annual fee expected is fixed in the first three years.

Firms pay the administration charge is annually by direct debits. The fee payable is based on the number of partners, directors, or employed members at the time of renewal basis. Firms need to note that they the charges are done annually and the payment covers12 months.

Any firm that wants to join midway is charged but only for the remaining period. They will make full payments when they renew. The charge will cover a renewal cost that is remitted each year that signed-up lenders will depend on the system for the administration of their panels.

Firms should know that the amount they pay is not a pass to join panels. Instead, the charge is meant to cover the administration of the system as well as information validation on behalf of lenders. The moment the data is processed, lenders can decide whether to appoint or reappoint a firm.

How law firms can apply to Lender’s Panel

Law firms can use two possible options.

  1. Firms that already exist on the system – When logged in, it is possible for firms to continue with navigating to the Panels screen and choose the affected lenders when they tick or check the checkbox. Ensure that all the information is updated, and your application should be submitted through the Home page link. In case a lender does not exist on the list, then the required minimum criteria is unmet hence no application is allowed.
  2. Firms that are unregistered – In this case, the firm first needs to be registered. They will then be required to answer some pre-qualification quizzes that determine the lenders they are allowed to apply. It is then required to choose a preferred lender from the list of many then they are to be supplied with credentials so that they log in and get done registering. When a lender does not appear on the list, it means that they are not accepted to apply.

All applications are not guaranteed. In fact, sometimes lenders need mortgage applications to have commenced before they can review the application.

Reasons to Sign Up for Lender Exchange

The scheme intends to help reduce overheads on panel firms by offering a solution that allows for the provision and validation of information in one reliable central place. This guarantees reduced risks to lenders who would otherwise have to introduce independent panel charges to recover from the increasing cost of administering private panels.

This would translate to an unnecessary but significant burden for organizations, making it a costly affair. When the system is adopted by lenders, lenders and law firms end up being the major beneficiaries since the use of a centralized point of information for easy collection. This prevents the need for firms to regularly provide similar information to multiple lenders repeatedly.

Additionally, lenders and law firms can easily communicate through a provided mailbox. This direct contact makes it possible for them to save time and effort that would go into tracking down the right person to respond to every query regarding panel membership and panel applications.

In a nutshell, Lender Exchange offers the following gains:

  • Reduced administration, which means that more lenders can access relevant information firsthand. Lenders also get to learn about the latest information on property purchases and sales.
  •  Simplified fee structure. The solution is cost-effective because the system is under one roof.
  • Continuous customer choice. Panel sizes can be maintained because extra legal fees are minimized significantly.
  • Improved communication. Information exchange has been simplified, making it quick and easy to access relevant information.
  • Ability to access current information. Members have a choice to change their standard mortgage documents without having to worry about the legal issues.

Lender exchange remains to be a system that has more benefits than downsides. While many people may not have joined it for one reason or another, those that have to continue to thrive and enjoy the gains that come with it.

Instant online conveyancing quote

Get an instant online conveyancing quote

Get an Instant Quote >>

My Conveyancing Specialist can provide you with an instant online conveyancing quote which will be displayed online, and a full cost quote emailed to you. We can provide you with an instant quote for house purchase only which is buying without a sale.  Sales only which is just selling a property and purchase and sale if selling and buying a new property. We also offer you a quote if you just wish to remortgage  a property. We can also help with Transfer of Equity which is when a jointly owned property is transferred to a single one of those owners. A transfer of equity is the addition or removal of a person to the deeds of the property, and we can provide an instant online quote.

Get an Instant Quote >>

When buying or selling a property it is both an exciting time, but can also be a stressful time with so many things to organise.

Our service is here to make this move less stressful and ensure it proceeds in a timely and professional manner. By using our instant online conveyancing quote calculator, you can save both time and money on your property move. Our system will put you in touch with a licensed conveyancer or conveyancing solicitor who will ensure the properties involved are legally registered and transferred in a timely manner, and that all legal requirements and searches are carried out.

Get an Instant Quote >>

What is Conveyancing?

Conveyancing is the process of transferring a property from the initial owner to a new owner; in this case, you who is buying the property. The process involves a licensed conveyancer who takes the place of a buyer and ensures the buyer receives the title deed of the house and the land the home sits on. Generally, conveyancing encompasses administrative and legal work necessary that make a buying process legitimate and viable under the law.

Conveyancing is a three-stage process which includes;

  1. Pre-contract
  2. Pre-completion
  3. and post-completion

The conveyancer will deal with the whole process ensuring they continually communicate with seller’s lawyers and alerting you of important dates you should be in attendance.

They also fill up documents on your behalf after enquiring with you. Yet, you can fill the documents yourself and save several dollars, which might turn bad for you as you may lose your house. However, if you work with a conveyancer and they make a mistake, their professional indemnity insurance will cover you.

The Process of Conveyancing

The House buying process is different each time you want to purchase a new house. The method also differs from one country to another. So does conveyancing. But, some things about conveyancing are similar across all countries. So let’s take a look.

Step 1- Find a Solicitor Conveyancer

Immediately you decide to buy or sell a house; you need to contact the best conveyancer in your area or the province in which the house is at. The advantage of informing your conveyancer as you begin house hunting or buyer hunting is that they are ready to jump in and proceed with legal issues regarding your house. They open a file, send you a composition of charges you’ll incur, and ask all the information they need to proceed with their work.

Get an Instant Quote >>

Step 2- Making Enquiries and Other Searches

Once the buying or selling process is underway, your conveyer will receive copies of the legal title deed and that of the contract. At this point, the solicitor will confirm regarding the agreement, and the title deed is correct and asks questions if they arise.

The solicitor then proceeds to search whether there is anything that will stop the buyer from enjoying the use of the new property or something that might prevent a lender from lending you money against the property. It’s worth noting that the solicitor may carry out some searches and leave others as they are optional.

 Step 3- Obtaining Your Mortgage

If you’re buying a house and need to apply for a mortgage, the conveyancer must provide the correct information about the house; otherwise, it might lead to the lender reconsidering their decision to lend you money.

Remember, the lender might carry an independent house valuation and might come across the information you leave behind. The lender may also ask your conveyancer to conduct to check certain things about the house by complying with specific conditions. In this case, it’s essential that their finding ties up to the results they gave you when you employed them.

Step 4- Signing Contracts

Signing the contracts is the most critical step in the conveyancing process. Why? It prepares you or keeps you in readiness of exchange of contract, which is also a crucial step in conveyancing. So you conveyancer will send you copies of necessary documents including;

  • A mortgage deed
  • Fixtures, fittings and contents forms
  • Title information document and plan
  • Property seller information form
  • A report about the key thing of the property you’re purchasing

At this point, you need to check whether all answers have been answered satisfactorily and whether the anti-money laundering is also checked. You’ll also be required to make your first payment deposit as it’s a requirement when exchanging contracts.

Step 5 – Exchanging Contracts

Exchanging contracts involve conveyancers from the buyer’s side and the seller. Both must have completed searching and looking at replies to enquiries, have signed documents and other things regarding legal matters of a house. They then have to agree on the date of completion.

Step 6 – Completion

The completion stage requires your conveyancer to arrange for funds and conduct final searches. Funds are transferred from the lender to the seller on the day of completion, and it all depends on the number of conveyancers involved in the chain. You can then pick your property keys from the real estate agent.

After the process of completion is done, your conveyancer will deal with the registration of homeownership and payment of Stamp Duty Land Tax.

Do you feel confident you can do the above? Well, too bad, there is much of the unmentioned information. As we said, the house buying process is overwhelming, and it’s often unnoticeable because someone else does all the work.

So What Does a Conveyancing Solicitor Do?

Earlier, we mentioned a conveyancer carries out administrative and legal matters of a house to ensure the process is smooth for you. Let’s look deeply at what their job entails.

Get an Instant Quote >>

For a buyer, the conveyancer will do the following:

  • Check the house title and arrange for searches of the property in question. The title is an important document- so the solicitor looks at this document more carefully.
  • Evaluate and understand what you’re looking for and the timeline you have
  • Work harmonically with sellers conveyancer to proceed with transactions
  • Make enquires on your behalf to flatten all outstanding issues
  • Evaluate mortgage offer and deal with other special conditions of the same
  • Report to you and feed you with key information and other documents
  • Arrange when you’ll exchange contracts with the seller set completion date
  • Prepare you for completion
  • Prepare a financial statement indicating what the conveyancer will need to complete the exchange and completion stages
  • Create and submit a tax return and transfer funds to the correct stamp duty
  • Register that you own the house with the land registry


For a seller, a conveyancer will do the following;


  • Finalise legal documents
  • Represent you while dealing with the buyer – this includes asking for an extension and title deed questions.
  • Prepare and issue contract papers
  • Arrange when transfer deed will be signed.
  • Exchange contract
  • Deal with completion immediately; the buyer receives the money. The buyer has to also release the house keys

How Do You Choose a Conveyancer?

See how you interview real estate agents? That’s how much time and resources you should apply when finding the best conveyancer.

Start by asking your friends, family, and neighbours for the recommendation of good conveyancers. If nothing comes out of this process, move online- it rich with reliable information.  Make a list of prospect conveyancers and give them a call. This process will help you eliminate some conveyancers and remain with a few. Moreover, conveyancers specialize in specific real estate, and you can use this factor to narrow down to conveyancers who specialise in the type of real estate you want to invest in.

Here are some questions you can use to narrow made your list of prospect conveyancers.


  • What types of real estate do you deal with?
  • How much will I spend? What are your charges, and are there other hidden costs?
  • How will you relay information, and how often?
  • How long will the process take to reach the completion stage?
  • Do you belong to any conveyancers group, and which one?

Searches Involved in Conveyancing

We’ve mentioned the term search several times above. But what does it entails? Here, we look at the things your conveyancer will search in regards to your property, as it is crucial you understand what you’ll be paying for. Below are the mandatory searches, but your conveyancer might recommend more depending on whether they are viable.

Environmental: this search will confirm whether the property is prone to flooding and land contamination.

Chancel repair liability: chancel search confirms whether you’re liable to contribute to local church repair funds depending on the amount of land you buy.

Coal mining: the search identifies whether the land occupied by the property has been affected by historical, existing, and future coal mining activities.

Water drainage: is the property connected to the main drainage and public sewers.

Local authority: this search provides information regarding road works, planning issues, and railway proximity as they all affect your enjoyment of the home you’re buying.

How Long Does Conveyancing Process Take?

The conveyancing process can take a few days or months, depending on the number of people involved in a process. Individual factors also play a part in the length of the conveyancing process. However, there are things neither you nor the solicitor can do, and thus, the process can go for months. Suppose the property in question has been passed to several buyers. If the chain of people is long, so does their requirement. You’ll, therefore, find a person who wants an adverse survey while the other lacks a mortgage. You have to wait until all of you are on the same conveyancing stage before proceeding to the next.

Let’s see the typical conveyancing timeline, which you can compare to when buying a property.

Conveyancing Timeline


Week 1-2

You find a conveyancer, and he/she accepts your offer. After that, he/she embarked on overseeing the house purchasing process. The solicitor will start with acquiring contract copies from the seller’s lawyer or representative. He/she must ask for clarification if the need arises. Meanwhile, you’ll be looking for lenders or apply for a mortgage.

Week 3-4

The solicitor begins searches including the must-do, and other recommended searches if need be. The representative of the property has to answer queries raised about the contract. The buyer’s conveyancer then reviews the answers of the seller and searches. During this period, expect lenders offer if the findings are as per their requirement or are satisfactory.

Week 5-6

The conveyancer confirms everything with the documents is valid and then sends them to you for signing. The buyer has to agree on continuing the buying of the property before the conveyancer set the completion date. He/she will also inform the buyer whether the other party is ready for contract exchange.

Week 7-8

A completion date is set, and both the seller and the buyer agree to it. It is at this point that you and the seller commit to a legal agreement as you exchange contracts.

Week 9-10

During this period, you complete your payment to your conveyancer. He/she then proceeds to send complete funds to the seller’s conveyancer. On the completion date, the seller has to vacate the house – it is usually during lunch break. Your solicitor also has to complete post-contract deals such as registration of property ownership and payment of SDLT.

Can You Speed Up the Conveyancing Process?

A solicitor tries and works within your timeline. They are efficient, but it’s up to you to speed up the process where necessary. For example, you can be asked to provide funds and documents and take weeks and expect the process will take a shorter time. So here are the things you can do to speed up the process.

  1. Release funds and documents when requested
  2. Sign documents as the conveyancer instruct; otherwise, you’ll have to redo the whole step after waiting for several days before receiving another copy of the papers.
  3. Show evidence of your funds when requested.
  4. Address your lender’s special conditions because until then, they can’t release the funds.
  5. Provide acceptable evidence of your ID when requested.

How Much Will You Spend in Conveyancing Process?

How much should you spend on conveyancing? The answer to this question depends on whether you’re selling or buying and whether the property is on freehold or leasehold. Other factors also apply. These include;

  • Land registry fee
  • SDLT
  • Searches and disbursements
  • The complexity of the service
  • Property price
  • The area in which the property is

To illustrate, the average conveyancing cost for buyers in the UK is £1,040 and £1,000 for the seller of the freehold property. This fee applies to the average price of houses across the UK, which is £232,797 as of 2020.

Hiring a conveyancer is crucial as they are the people that pay disbursements on your behalf. But, looking at the total fee can be daunting yet convenient when you look at the breakdown of the expenses.

Conveyancing fee is the amount you spend to hire the conveyancer, including the cost they’ll transact on your behalf. Some of the disbursements cost for buyer include;

  • Stamp duty (The current SDLT threshold is £125,000 for residential properties)

If you buy a house for £275,000 the SDLT you owe is calculated as follows:

0% on the first £125,000 = £0

2% on the next £125,000 = £2,500

5% on the final £25,000 = £1,250

Total SDLT = £3,750

(England Only)

Full details on stamp duty see, read more

Stamp duty in Wales, read more

  • Bank transfer fees £40
  • Environmental searches
  • Local authority searches
  • Drainage search
  • Land Registry registration fee (depends on property price)
  • Land document registry fee £6

For the seller, you’ll spend the following on disbursements

  • Bank transfer £40
  • Land registry document £6

Remember, the conveyancing fee may vary from the above depending on solicitor you hire. However, let the above act as a guide.

When Can You Pay Conveyancing Fee?


Most conveyancers will request money immediately; they agree to offer you their services. Considering they need money to pay for searches, you need to pay a deposit with which they’ll use to make payment for disbursements.  The only fee you can make after the completion of the process of transfer of property is the land registry. The price may seem absurd, so its best you ask for a breakdown of fees to find out exactly what amount you’re spending in each step.

Get an Instant Quote >>

Solicitor Fees for Selling a House

Selling a house is more work than most people assume. There are several things to consider before you put your home on sale. First, you have to determine what would be the best asking price. Coming up with the asking price is also not as easy. You have to consider the cost at which you acquired or constructed the house. The current condition of the house, how old it is, the state of the real estate market and the neighbourhood should also be considered. Whether or not your house has been renovated in the near past is also a factor to consider. Once you have come up with the best asking price, you also need to consider the cost of moving out of the house, how you will advertise the house, and the kind of professional assistance you need. For instance, you may need to employ a solicitor.

Solicitors Fees

When selling a house, you must hire either a solicitor or a licensed conveyancer unless you have the legal qualifications as well. A solicitor is a legal worker whose role is to deal with all the legal matters. A solicitor has to have legal qualifications and documentation. When it comes to selling a house, a solicitor or conveyancer takes care of all the legal affairs involved. The reason why you should hire a solicitor is that he will help you handle all the real estate dealings and make the process both safe and swift. However, note that a solicitor will not in any way help you find a buyer for your house any faster or slower. He also does not handle any issues outside the legal affairs related to house selling. A solicitor will guarantee that your home sale is permitted. A solicitor is also responsible for how fast the selling process will be completed, especially the paperwork.

How Much does it Cost to Hire a Solicitor?


The work of a solicitor is something that cannot be done with just anyone. Like any other service provider, solicitors have to be paid for their services. The practitioner can either charge you a flat fee or a percentage of the total value of the property. The average cost of hiring a real estate solicitor ranges between 500 and 1800 pounds. However, the price is influenced by many factors.

Factors Influencing the Cost of Hiring a Solicitor

Below are some of the main factors that affect the price tag for hiring a real estate solicitor;

  1. The Size of Your Property

This is one of the main factors that influence the cost of hiring the professional. Selling a bigger house would mean that you have to pay more money to the solicitor. The reason why this is the case is that there are more risks involved because more money is involved. This factor mostly comes into play if the solicitor decides to charge you a percentage of the total value of the house. If you own a large property, the value is more than a smaller one; hence the cost of hiring the solicitor is higher.

  1. The nature of the transaction

Another critical determinant of the amount of solicitor’s fees is the nature of transactions. This means that the more complicated the sale of the house is, the more money the solicitor will require. Properties that have an easy ownership structure tend to cost less in solicitor fees. On the other hand, those with complicated legal entanglements require a more careful legal planning procedure and more attention to essential details.

  1. Whether the property is a leasehold or not

If you are selling a leasehold house, you will also have to pay more money to the solicitor. The reason is that there is more legal work involved in such a sale. For instance, the solicitor will have to review the lease documents of the property. On average, you will end up paying at about 300 pounds extra in such a situation.

  1. The solicitor’s know-how and experience

Different conveyancing agents charge varying amounts. If you search the market for the various options, you will find that there is a difference between the costs, some are incredible, and some are minor. If you find a solicitor that is charging a meagre amount, you may want to consider the work history of the practitioner. Most of the time, a solicitor that charges quite low fees take more time to complete the selling process. Such practitioners work alone hence require more time to get the work done correctly.

On the other hand, those that charge a considerable amount usually work with interns and partners who help them cover all the essential details adequately and in time. Experienced solicitors with a lot of clients charge the average amount. Expensive solicitors provide luxuries like round the clock communication, which is not the case with the cheaper ones. When choosing between the different solicitors and the amount that they charge, consider your budget and the kind of service you require.

  1. Are you hiring a private solicitor or a firm

Hiring a firm in some cases is more cost-efficient than hiring a private solicitor. The reason is that firms tend to have more clients, hence pricing inadequate capital, thus eliminating the need to charge clients a lot of money. Firms also hire a lot of employees who can complete the soliciting processes fast enough so that they can take on more cases and earn more money. On the other hand, hiring a private solicitor would mean paying more money.

  1. The state of the real estate market

The costs of hiring an agent and a solicitor, among other buying and selling costs, are significantly affected by the state of the market. For instance, if the market is at a peak, the costs will be higher because the houses will sell at a higher price. Whether or not the home is likely to sell fast or slow also determines the cost of hiring a solicitor. For instance, at the moment, because of the Covid-19 pandemic, less people are buying houses. Therefore, solicitors are not charging as much.

In addition to the factors mentioned above, other services will increase the amount you pay for solicitors’ services. For instance, you may have to pay an extra 12 pounds for a copy of the title deed. This document will help you prove that you own the property. It may also cost you an additional 10 pounds to conduct money laundering checks. This check is done to make sure that the potential buyer is not claiming to be someone that he is not.

Choosing between a fixed rate and a percentage-based solicitor

As mentioned earlier, the cost of hiring a solicitor depends on whether or not the solicitor is a fixed rate or a percentage based one. A percentage-based solicitor will charge you a specific percentage of the amount that you will make selling the house. Before you decide on which one of the two is the best option, you must first determine the cost of your property. Also, consider the legal affairs involved, like whether you have some legal complications that may need to be taken care of. Once you have determined the above elements, consider the cost of hiring a fixed rate solicitor and how much money a percentage-based solicitor would take home.

If you are selling a small house with a less complicated legal history, hiring a percentage based solicitor could be the wiser decision. However, if you are selling a large home with an incredible value, it would be wiser to hire a fixed rate solicitor as it will help you save some money. Also, with a fixed rate solicitor, you have the opportunity to negotiate for a fair price. However, no one of the two is entirely better than the other. The trick is to analyze your situation before choosing between the two.

Importance of hiring a solicitor

  • A solicitor will help you avoid some unclear problems that are associated with the sale of a house. For instance, if you find yourself signing a brokerage deal that does not take care of some significant legal issues. Some brokers will issue documents that shield them from some responsibilities that they should be taking care of. A solicitor will help you navigate the issue.
  • A solicitor may also come in handy when it comes to making the purchase agreement. The purchase agreement is the most important document when selling a property. The solicitor will handle issues related to the purchase agreement. Such issues include whether or not the property has changed or if there is an addition to the property. Whether the changes are legal or not is also a matter to handle. Another issue is the legal outcomes of closing and how the payments will be made, to name a few.
  • A solicitor will also help you handle the tax-transfer and the title deed transfer affairs.
  • The solicitor also takes care of the closing process. The closing is the most significant event of selling or buying a house. The solicitor’s work is to prepare the closing documents like the title deed, among others. The solicitor will handle the process of transferring the deed from the seller to the buyers. If there are issues like mortgage balances to be paid, the legal practitioner will help the two parties determine who clears the balance and how it will be done. A solicitor will also oversee the signing of the closing papers. Finally, the solicitor will make sure the closing documents are properly executed, and the two parties understand the process.


Other Costs Involved in Selling a House

 Hiring an Estate agent

According to most sellers, the most significant fee when selling a house is the real estate commission. Most realtors or estate agents ask for a commission of between 1 and 5 per cent. By commission, it means that you have to pay a percentage of the total amount for which you sell the house. For instance, if you sell the home for 250000 pounds, you may end up paying your estate agent up to 15000 pounds.

Estate agent fees should now be quoted to include VAT (20%). These rules came into effect from The Property Ombudsman in October 2016, however it always pays to check quotes are inclusive of VAT.

Sometimes, you may be able to talk your way to a lower commission. However, most real estate agents will only accept a lower rate if the house has the potential to sell quickly. Also, if the market is experiencing a high and the prices are relatively at a peak, it may be easier to get a lower commission.

Other than negotiating for a better commission, sellers can also save some money by listing houses as for-sale-by-owner. However, doing so means that you would have to take on all the responsibilities of the real estate agent, including showing and advertising the house. Some online listing platforms also do not allow listings from owners without an agent. This makes it difficult to sell and market the home.

The Cost of Repairs

It is easier to sell a house that is visually and also functionally appealing. Therefore, if your home suffers some damages, you may want to embark on some repairs. For instance, you can invest in some exterior and interior works. Doing so will help your house sell faster and also get you a better price.

It is wiser to conduct repairs while preparing for a sale rather than during the time when you have already put your house on sale. Failure to perform repair projects before selling will help you avoid meeting your buyer’s demands for repairs before completing a transaction.

The Cost of Staging

Staging originates in the US, who have been staging properties for many years to get their homes sold, and for the right price, and it is now catching on in the UK.

When selling a house, you must stage the home for viewings. Staging helps the house to market faster. During the process of staging, you may have to hire a professional company to put items like furniture inside the property. By doing so, you can show the potential buyers how much the house can accommodate, the beauty of different features and appeal to them on a personal level. Staging also helps to minimise the less attractive features of the property while highlighting the best ones.

You may need to hire an interior designer to make sure that you succeed in your purpose to attract buyers. You have to stage your property when taking photos to post on listings and when hosting walk-ins. For walk-ins, you may have to hire furniture and other home decorations and elements like curtains. Hiring such items is also an additional cost. On average, the cost of staging a house ranges between 25 and 75 pounds per hour for the consultation. The price, however, depends on the amount of space in the home and amount of furniture you wish to hire and the length of time it is required.

Mortgage costs

You cannot sell a house for which you haven’t completed mortgage payments. The amount you will spend paying off your mortgage depends on the amount you owe. Most of the time, the amount is a fraction of the amount that the house will bring in after selling. However, you can also use the proceeds you make from selling the home to clear the mortgage, if you cannot afford to clear the debt beforehand.

The Closing Costs

Most of the time, the closing costs are the responsibility of the buyer. However, on some rare occasions, the seller may have to foot the bill, especially if you are selling the property in a buyer’s market.

In Summary

Normally the largest fees you can expect to pay will be if you use an estate agent on a commission fee structure, which can vary from 1 to 5% normally.

Solicitors / Conveyancers will normally charge between £500 to £1800 depending on the price of the property and complexity of sale. Before you decide on any estate agent, it always pays to get several quotes to see your options.

When to Instruct a Solicitor when Buying a House

When you are buying a property, you have to understand that there are many documents that you have to first complete before you go ahead with the transaction. If you want this whole transaction to go as quickly as possible, you need to find the services of a reliable conveyancer or property solicitor. These are professionals who will be responsible for making sure that all your legal and administrative affairs in the whole transaction are well taken care of.

Conveyancing solicitor

The best way to go about this is starting to look for a solicitor in the early stages of the process because it is very important to find a professional that you not only feel comfortable with but also understands their part. The conveyancing market is pretty large and it is filled with many practising firms, with each of them different from each other, in terms of quality and speed of the services they offer. Sometimes even solicitors within the same firm have different attributes.

Our firm’s conveyancing division is made up of a team of qualified and certified professionals, having solicitors with a speciality in the administrative and legal aspects of all the property sale transactions all over London. Our team of experts will provide fixed fee quotations and always emphasise on the delivery of excellent customer service to make sure that all parties to the transaction are satisfied.

What does the Buyer’s Conveyancer or Solicitor Do?

  • Obtaining the formal instruction from the client and going ahead to verify their identity.
  • Go through the documents while checking all the stated details and terms of the contract bundle once they receive them from the seller’s solicitor. They do this to ensure that all the details stated match all the expectations of the buyer in that transaction. In most cases, the contract bundle contains official Land Registry Title documents in official copies, building regulation documents, a draft of the contract, the property information of the seller and all the fixture forms, management information pack where applicable, lease if applicable plus any other documents that may have relevance in the transaction. They will then take the appropriate action basing their decision on their findings.
  • Check and verify the property’s access, restrictions and boundaries.
  • Perform property searches, assess the corresponding result and if necessary, they will raise additional enquiries. A search is an official check to ascertain if: there are any future preservation orders or future plans that may affect the property from the Local Authority planning department; there are any cases of contamination in the surrounding environment; there is a church repair liability; there are any drainage and water connections in the vicinity and many other searches relating to the specifics of the location like performing a coal mining search.
  • Put together any survey reports and assess their results then advise their clients on the proper step to follow.
  • In case there is need for clarification, they will raise questions or enquiries in relation to the part of the transaction that they feel they need more information on. For instance, they can go ahead and request for the planning permission documentation for extensions or the correct building regulations or any other works that they feel there may be gaps.
  • Act in person for the mortgage lender for the buyer while ensuring that all their administrative and financial obligation is in order and well fulfilled.
  • Come up with a report that based all the information they received from the mortgage lender and the buyer.
  • Act as a liaison for all the parties.
  • Responsible for managing all the transfer of monies.
  • Negotiate the exchange and the possible completion dates of the transaction.
  • Ensure that the stamp duty and all the Land Registry fees are paid and on time.
  • Ensure that the new buyer is registered with the Land Registry.
  • Ensure that they perform all the post exchange searches to make sure that the property in question is still clear of any legal charges.
  • Conduct any other legal work that may seem necessary as part of that particular transaction like a Declaration of Trust among others.

Types of Conveyancing Searches

A property conveyancer will primary undertake two searches for the buyer. The first of these searches is a personal search. The search is carried out where all the information the conveyancer would need to know or possess is in the public domain. The second one is the official search. This type of search is performed by a professional that is within the council. However, the most common type of search is a personal search. Nonetheless, there are some instances where some mortgage lenders ask for an official search for certain properties.

It is also very important to note that numerous searches could be undertaken like coal searches, tin mining searches, brine searches or clay searches, most of which don’t quite apply to the properties in London. However, the following searches may be required:


  • Local Authority Search: It is supposed to show whether or not:
    • There is a need for upkeep for the adjoining roads and footpaths.
    • There are upcoming changes on the nearby roads.
    • The property is on or near contaminated land.
    • The property lies in a conservation area.
    • There is an existing compulsory purchase order on the land.
    • Some debts are associated with that property like Green Deal payments.
    • Some enforcement notifications for breaches in planning permission have been served.
    • There are some tree preservation orders.
  • Water and Drainage Search: This kind of search is designed to explain how the area’s water drainage system operates and all the persons or authorities responsible for the system’s upkeep.
  • Chancel Repair Liability Search: The search is meant to show whether the property’s owner has an obligation to make any contributions towards ensuring that the local church is well taken care of.
  • Flood Risk Search: A conveyancer will be able to find out whether where the property is located is at risk of floods.
  • Environmental Search: From this search, a conveyancer will be in the know the previous use of the property and find out if the land upon which the property sits has been contaminated.

It is important to note that these two searches are to be done pre-completion:

  • Bankruptcy Search: This is meant to ascertain if a person has been declared bankrupt. Once this is shown, the person’s ability to borrow money from a mortgage lender will be greatly reduced.
  • Land Registry Priority Search: A conveyancer will undertake this search to find out all the latest documentation that is probably held on the said property. All of this information will be found on the local Land Registry Office.

How Much It Costs to Hire a Solicitor

When it comes to hiring a solicitor, you have to know and understand that there are two primary conveyancing quotations in terms of costs: the legal fees, which is charged by a conveyancer or solicitor for the time they spend while doing the work and disbursements. Disbursements are those third-party costs that cannot be avoided. Although they are undertaken by a solicitor, they are paid out to conduct searches, stamp duty fees and Land Registry fees.

There are some conveyancers or solicitors that offer a no move, no fee guarantee. This essentially means that you will not have to pay any legal fees if your purchase falls through for any reason prior to the exchange of contracts. On the other hand, some solicitors may offer fees charged by the hour, while others may offer fixed fees and some will opt to take a percentage of what the property is worth. You have to do some due diligence of what the fees may be like from the very start to make sure that you avoid feeling overwhelmed by bills that may be unexpectedly high at the end.

You need to factor in the aspect of work and the associated costs. However, you should not let this aspect entirely govern your final decision. Any fully qualified and reputable solicitor or conveyancer in London who charges a fixed fee will most likely charge you a fee in the area of £750 to £1250. The difference is mostly brought about by their level of experience and seniority. If there will be any need for additional legal work that would be beyond the remission of the standard process, you will have to pay an additional fee. The best way to go about this when you are in the process of seeking the services a professional is to get yourself at least three quotes before you settle on one and enter a contact. You need to understand that sometimes it may be challenging to understand the conveyancing quotations. To make sure that you don’t get misled by the devil in the details is ensure to you get fixed quotes that include everything.

How to Choose the Right Solicitor

The process of buying and selling of properties in London calls for expertise and knowledge in the field. That is why you must consider finding the services of a solicitor or conveyancer to help you through the process. You need to make sure that you choose an experienced professional in all the administrative and legal aspects of buying and selling property transactions in London.

The best way to go about this is to look for a good mark of quality. In London, to know that a conveyancer is qualified, they will need to have a Conveyancing Quality Scheme (CQS) certificate. This certificate is awarded to certified professionals by the Law Society to show that a conveyancer offers high quality work.

There are some very critical questions that you may need to ask conveyancing solicitors before you choose to engage them. Here are some of them:

  • Do you offer fixed fees?: In most cases, you will find that solicitors offer an estimate on fees at the beginning. They provide an estimate because they are not quite sure how complex the transaction may end being or just how time-consuming it can be. However, take note of the firms that charge fees by the hour because such fees can quickly become very expensive in no time.
  • Is there a ‘no move no fee’ guarantee?: You need to find out because you have to ensure that you don’t pay any fees if for any reason the purchase falls through.
  • Is everything included in the quote?: It is not uncommon for conveyancing quotes to miss outlining essential costs such as bank transfer fees, VAT and other important disbursements. This is mostly to avoid making the quote look expensive and thus very attractive to a potential client. Even as you scout for the best conveyancer, ensure that the quote you get is all-inclusive so that you have a rough idea from the beginning.
  • How busy is your schedule at the moment?: The busier the solicitor the slower the response time.
  • Which do you use more, email or post?: Some solicitors prefer one over the other. Therefore, find out what mode of communication they prefer.
  • Do I have a direct channel with my solicitor?: Dealing with your solicitor directly will go a long way in reducing the stress involved in the transactions.
  • If necessary, can you conduct Skype or similar meetings if and when necessary?: There are times when your schedule could be so packed that you don’t have time to go for a physical meeting with your solicitor. If they don’t offer this service, it could prove to very inconveniencing to you because then you will have to make other arrangements like child care or taking time off work.
  • How do you feel about working closely with my estate agent?: You have to understand that not all solicitors will be happy to work with your estate agent. If they feel happy and comfortable with working your estate agent, then the chances of the whole transaction being less stressful and smoother are quite high.
  • How is your experience like working on this type of property transaction?: Many types of property purchase transactions could be very complex houseboats, leasehold properties, new developments and unusual conversions among others. It is only prudent to find out whether the conveyancing solicitor has enough experience handling such transactions.
  • Do you have any booked holidays in your schedule and if so, what measures are in place to cater for your work?: It may be a little bit odd to ask your conveyancer this question but it is very important. In most cases, solicitors will either slow down or not work at all when on holiday. Therefore, it is only wise to find out of there will be someone else to take over their work in case they go on holiday.

If you would like an instant online conveyancing quote, then use are online quote calculator and get an instant quote via email.

Sell My House Fast for Market Value

Selling your house not only fast but also for market value sometimes feels like a too good to be true situation. Mostly, when the times are not good, especially during a pandemic or an economic crisis, this option becomes even harder. But what if you could still manage to sell your property as fast as you wish and get the value you hoped for?

House for sale

People who know what to do are never affected by a crisis. At least not in an adverse way. By the end of this article, you will have clarity on how to sell your house quickly and get it for the price you feel you deserve.

Before we get into the ‘how,’ let’s do a quick look at the clients, you should be eyeing if you want to sell your house quickly and at a reasonable price.

Buyers to Target to Sell My Property Fast for Market Value

In many ways, who you sell your house to is as important as how you sell the property. Not everyone is out to buy a home as fast as possible, and not everyone has the money you wish to get from the sale. However, the following three parties are quite reliable, fast buyers.

  • Property Investors

The first group of people that anyone should target when looking to sell a house fast is the property investors group. Many property investors maintain a tight relationship with property companies within the country to find suitable properties to invest in. Given that this group has the capital to invest in property generously and without a mortgage, you can be sure that you will sell your house for market value and sometimes even more if it is situated in a desirable environment.

Some investors have their own market value calculator for properties in different locations, so if your asking price is within their expected range, you should be able to sell your house fast.

  • First-Time Home Buyers

This category might not be as quick to spend as the previous group, but you can be sure that they want to get a property fast. The best advantage you might have is that you might meet a first-time buyer who is also not sure how property buying and selling works. This makes it easier for you to convince the buyer that buying your house quickly at the market value is a good idea.

Also, this category might not have any past experiences with buying and selling property, so getting them to pick up new facts from you will not be a big challenge. Some have been saving for a while to get a home and only think about the time they get to settle. If your property feels like home in the best way possible, there’s a high chance that they will not mind closing the deal fast with no long chains of complications.

  • Cash-Rich Buyers

Getting to sell your house to a cash-rich buyer is one of the biggest wins real estate sellers look for. This category does not wait for mortgage approvals to close a sale. As long as they like the property, they will put their cash on it and allow you to move on with your life.

The most significant role you need to play is first making sure that your property looks appealing enough, so this party does not have to think twice once they see your property on your list. Secondly, make sure you know the market value since this category might be great researchers. Also, get all the paperwork ready so everything can run smoothly in a matter of days.

How to Sell My House Fast for Market Value

Now that we have our target buyers clear, you need to know the best ways to sell your house quickly so you can be set for a fast and stress-free experience.

  • Consider Selling to a Cash Home Buying Company

Many times, people look to sell their properties fast because of a financial crisis. A cash home buying company could quickly come to your rescue in such times. However, it is essential to note that they might not give you 100% of the market value you seek to get. These companies are aware of how big of a struggle it is to get your house liquified, so they take advantage of offering an almost competitive price.

One thing for sure, you will not need to pay agency fees, and your legal fees will get paid. This option is, however, not suitable for properties above £500k. This is because you might end up losing more than you would have used other methods. It would be best if you also were sure of the company you are selling your house to since there are many scam companies for such services out there.

  • Auction the house

Have you ever been to an auction event? If not, no need to worry; several auction specialists help first-time people to an auction. You can quickly sell your house for market value at an auction, especially if the house either has a short lease or needs a lot of work.

The disadvantage of this option is that it functions with more luck than guarantees. If the odds are for you, it is possible to get a buyer the very first day to an auction, but this is not a guarantee. Also, you will not always get the value you wish for, but you might come in pretty close. Try not to go the modern auction way as this does not always work, and there’s a fee attached in many cases.

  • Work with a House Sale Specialist

If a cash home buying company does not offer the amount you are comfortable with, and your agent is a bit slack on their job, you can choose to seek the help of a house sale specialist. This is recommended for a very urgent situation since it will cost you some generous amount before you get the results you seek.

A specialist has the right tricks to make your property look attractive enough for potential buyers to fall in love with it in a minute. Also, they know where your target buyers can be found and, therefore, much easier for them to sell your house, maybe even in a matter of 30 days.

However, precaution is needed since many companies are claiming to be specialists, but end up giving one too many empty promises. They also charge a lot for no good reason. A reliable specialist has a record of confirmed successes and, at times, is not as expensive as you would expect.

  • Change Your House Agent

If the issue is with your agents, deciding to change them maybe your best option. This is possible and advisable if you are out of contract or are using an online amateur agent. Negotiate a short contract with the new agent, but pay them the full fee so they can remain motivated to help you quickly find a buyer.

  • The Multi-Agent Way

If your current agent gives room for this on your contract, getting more people on your case can help sell the house faster. You will have a chance to get your home for a better fee, but try not to go with inexperienced agents as this will be a waste of time, money, and resources. Make an arrangement where only the successful agent is given the full payment, so you do not incur double costs.

  • Reduce Your Asking Price

It might be that your house is not selling because your asking price is a bit intimidating. If this is the case, the right agent should have already pointed it out the first time you met (this is if you did not calculate the price as per the real market value).

Sometimes the issue is with your agent, so make sure you have this clear before you consider reducing the price. If the agent is well experienced, they should be able to sell the property at your original market value. Also, check the market you are in since dropping the price in a cold market does not change much.

  • Avoid the FSBO Route

Many homeowners think that selling the house by themselves will help them save the money they would have otherwise paid an agent to do the same work. The problem is, many for sale by owner homes remain on the list longer since the owner has no knowledge or resources to sell as fast as a professional.

Making a sale takes more than only placing a house on a list and waiting for a buyer. A professional does not mind working long hours to reach their goals, and this might include working on holidays. This is why they are better placed to sell a house fast compared to the homeowner.

  • Stage Your House

Staging has everything to do with how you present your house before a potential buyer. Unless you are still living in the home you are trying to sell; it is advisable always to have the house empty and clean. This way, a buyer can find it easier to picture themselves in their new home. Depersonalize the property by removing anything that can limit buyers, such as religious and political frames.

Also, improve the curb appeal to help create an impressive view of the compound.

  • Timing is Everything

Finally, if all the above fails, look at the timing. Sometimes it not that your house cannot find the right buyer, but the market times are not in your favour. There are already people anticipating finding a home during the right selling and buying season, and, in this case, you will get several offers. When the demand is this high, you can be lucky enough to sell at even a higher value than you expected.

FAQs When Trying to Sell a House Fast for Market Value
  • Are online reviews on fast sale companies viable?

Not everything you see on the internet is worth your trust. Many agencies use marketing techniques to lure people to their companies, even if their services are not of quality. Scammers are also everywhere, so do not believe everything you see online, especially when the deal sounds too good to be true.

However, this does not mean that you will never find a reliable agent and selling company online as well. The secret is having more facts than opinions and talking to people you know in person.

  • Who is the NAPB?

The National Association of Property Buyers is a trade body operating within England, Northern Ireland, and Wales, which represents companies that help with quick home sales. It is possible to come across excellent companies as well as poor ones within the body.

Just because a company claims to be part of the NAPB and TPO does not mean that they are among the best in the business. These bodies are only trade bodies and not regulators, so you should never use them as checking points for a trust able company.

  • Between a fast-selling company and an auction, which is the best option?

If you are looking for a sale guarantee, then deciding between these two is a life-or-die situation. The problem with putting your house on auction is that it will get an extended public eye on different auction sites.

Remember, the listing price is often lower than the market price, so if you decide to change to a fast selling company, you will have a lot of trouble getting the price back up. Property companies will use your original asking price as a foundation for the value of your house, and since you want the house to sell fast, changing prices will not be an upfront option.

In short, a failed auction trial will bring more harm than good to the value of your house.

Get the Best Value for Your Home

Trying to sell your house fast can be overwhelming, but that does not mean it cannot be done. The idea is to please a potential buyer and get the best value you can, so it looks like a win-win situation for both the buyer and the seller. There is no doubt that you will find a lot of cons along this journey. Yours is to keep your mind focused, and not letting your sense of urgency make you prone to thieves.

Capital gains tax on inherited property

It is never easy to sell an inherited property. If anything, it is one of the hardest things one can ever do. When trying to sell an inherited property, just putting it on the market can bring up a lot of emotions. Those that sell inherited property always end up surprised on realizing that they have to settle capital gains tax on the profit gained from selling such property.

Capital gains tax

Capital Gains Tax versus Inheritance Tax

One of the reasons people get surprised for receiving additional tax bills after selling inherited home is because they believe that they have already paid some tax on it. However, it is vital to understand that most of the time, if you have paid any tax on that property, then it is inheritance tax.

This kind of tax is paid by the time you inherit a landed property. Most of the time, it is up to 40% of the entire value of the property at the time of inheritance. But this might also depend on other allowances.

Capital gains, on the other hand, are the tax paid from the profit you make from selling an inherited property. Therefore, if you sell a property, but fails to make any profit compared to its overall value when you acquired it, then you won’t need to settle the capital gains tax.

How Do Capital Gains Tax Work?

For instance, if you inherit property worth £300,000 and then you sell it for the same price, then you would have made zero profit. You might have even run at a loss considering you will have to pay estate agent fees and legal fees. If that is the case, you will not be asked to pay any capital gains tax. This makes sense in that capital gains tax is only paid when you make a profit from selling a property.

On the other hand, if the house was worth £300,000 at the time of inheritance, and later you sell it at £400,000, you will have to settle the tax on the profit you have made. Several factors might affect the overall total of this tax, and you could use some allowances and deductions to reduce it.

Deductions and Capital Gains Tax

Before you are issued with the capital gains tax after selling your inherited property, you need to turn in all your deductions. This makes it easier to calculate the profit made from the property sale. In this piece, we have detailed all deductions and allowances you can take on the property. If these are used correctly, you will maximize the profit made from selling your inherited property.

  • Estate Agency and Legal Fees

Eligible deductions must include the fees you paid to acquire or sell the property in question. Some of these eligible fees include appointing a surveyor, hiring a solicitor, or getting a valuation. Also, if you appointed an agency while selling the property, you need to nuclide that in your deductions.

During the entire process of acquiring or selling the property, you need to keep a good track of all expenses you might have incurred. You will need to use these receipts later in the process of calculating deductions. You might be able to do the deductions without the proof of fees, which is why you have to keep receipts. Also, you need them to cut on the amount of tax payable.

  • Home Improvement

If you upgraded your home to increase its value, then you need to include the expenses in your deductions. Again, in this case, you will be asked to show receipts and invoices. Home improvement can include things such as the installation of a new bathroom or kitchen, essential repair works, installation of central heating, etc.

Note that if you replace the previous kitchen with another one of the same value, then you will not be allowed to indicate that in your deductions. Home improvement should be something that adds the value of your inherited property.

  • Personal Allowance

At least everyone has a personal allowance of £11, 300 on their annual earnings. Normally, this amount is not taxed. Based on your annual income, this might or might not influence your capital gains tax. You will pay on selling your property.

How Much Capital Gains Tax Will You Pay?

For instance, you inherited a property that is valued at £300,000. A few years later, you sell it for £400,000, making a profit of £100,000. But you had to pay £1,000 in legal fees while inheriting and paid the same amount in legal fees when selling.

If you paid £4,000 to an agent, and £5,000 went on home improvement, then your total expense was £11,000. Then you are left with £77,000 taxable profit. But the total tax you pay from this £77,000 depends on your annual income. However, you will not pay any tax on your first £11,300 annual income. For the next £33, 500, you will pay 28% and anything more than that amount.

How to Sell Inherited Property The Easy Way

You can inherit a landed property at any point in life. Maybe you are in a different house or nation. Or maybe you are unable to take care of expensive repairs and modifications before selling your property.

Most people inherit property from their family members or people that were close to, and putting these properties on the market might be stressful to them. They have to pay taxes and other fees to ensure that the properties are sold successfully.

To some, the property might come from a distant family member or even people they don’t know much about. Irrespective of your situation, if you live in South Wales, you can always get in touch with professionals to take care of the stressful part of selling the property.

We are property experts who have been in the industry for many years. We buy houses for cash irrespective of their type of condition. In most cases, we provide our clients with 90% of the overall value of the property. Our team understands fully, the ups and downs involved in selling an inherited property. Therefore, you can always call our agents who will listen to you carefully to help you make the most informed decision.

We Ensure Minimum Stress

For many years, we have gained vast experience in the acquisition of properties in cash in South Wales, and can help you achieve the bottom line most conveniently. Our property acquisition process can, at times, take only seven days, which means you will have the shortest stressful moment trying to sell your property for cash.

We have a reliable network of professionals and solicitors. These are individuals who know us in and out, in case our clients want to know anything about our company. Also, if you want, we can always recommend some professionals that our clients have used before, to make the process as seamless for you as possible.

Advice on Capital Gains Tax

If you are trying to lower your payable capital gains tax as much as possible, you can always use our expertise. Also, we have a guide on how you can reduce the entire tax bill at a small fee. Our main goal is to ensure that you get the highest profit on your inheritance. If you sell us the property, we will cooperate with you to trace all the expenses you might have incurred between the time of inheritance, and when you sell the property.

Free Valuation and Advice on Capital Gains


Just talk to us and share with us your situation, and the house you are trying to sell. After that, we will conduct a free valuation and tell you the amount we can pay for that property. Also, if you want, we will help you understand capital gains tax and how it works. Our team will also advise you on how you can save money. Therefore, talk to us today if you have a home that needs a quick sale.


Property inheritance is a legal procedure that requires clear documentation. Before you acquire such property, make sure that it has clear records. This will keep you safe even if you do not intend to sell it in the future. Our services include tracking down the records and ensuring that your inherited home is legally ready for sale or ownership.

We Buy Any House Companies UK

If you have been paying attention to the happenings in the real estate world, you will have noticed that We Buy Any House companies are all over the place. Besides popping up in all corners of the UK, these companies are fast luring homeowners looking to offload their properties. What they do is make a promise to sell the house in a matter of days to an already identified buyer willing to pay cash for the residence.

we Buy Any House

However, their quick emergence and the nature of their promises have caused people to become skeptical. The major question in the minds of most people is, “how legit are these companies?”

‘We Buy Any House Companies’—What Are They?

Before proceeding any further, it’s important to note there exist two brands in the UK already using a similar name. While they are both trading companies offering the services discussed in this article, note that we are not talking about any brand. This article is meant to shed light on the services offered by the ‘We Buy Any House Companies’, and not the brands!

The term ‘We Buy Any House’ is one used by companies in the real estate for description purposes. They use the term to indicate they are willing to give you cash in exchange for your property. Other terms used to describe these companies are Cash Buyer and Quick House Sale Companies.

While two firms have already branded their services around this concept, this doesn’t mean they are the only ones offering the service. A quick search online will reveal a boatload of options enabling you to perform a more detailed search. Companies offering this kind of service typically fall under two descriptions:

  • Firms that look for third-parties willing to pay cash
  • Firms that purchase your property using the cash reserves they have

For a seller, it doesn’t matter which one you are dealing with, as you are assured to receive quick cash for your property.

Why Should You Consider Working with the ‘We Buy Any House Companies?’

From a general sense of view, these companies are mainly used by home sellers who are desperate for quick cash. It’s mainly a last resort option deemed to be more appealing to vulnerable homeowners facing an uncertain future or who are in dire need of a cash injection. The companies in this line of work do indeed purchase homes for cash.

After acquiring it, they are in a position to quickly push through its sale. Some even state they can offload it to a willing party in as few as 7 days. The main disadvantage of using this service is that you will not get to receive its actual value. Sellers have no option but to sell it below its true market value.

Depending on the company, it may give you between 75-90% of the stated market value. By now, it’s safe to assume you already had an idea of how much you would receive.

Pro Tip: Exercise caution when dealing with any cash buyer who promises to pay you 100% of the property’s market value. Reputable and genuine buyers aren’t in a position to pay the true market value.

The bottom line here is that individuals only use these firms when they need to quickly offload their homes. As a result, many won’t mind letting a buyer have it for a sum less than what they would have gotten had they used another option.

Are They Safe?

While it’s not possible to categorically state all ‘We Buy Any House Companies’ are safe, the following holds:

  • There exist numerous popular traps you can avoid whenever you are getting into business dealings with such firms. This includes knowing the best practices to observe during all your interactions. Take your time to carefully compare the options being offered by the cash buyer and/or quick house sale companies.
  • Dealing with these service providers isn’t very different from dealing with your everyday realtor. You have to realize there are good and bad eggs in all markets and industries. It’s, therefore, upon you to ensure due diligence is conducted to weed out the bad eggs to avoid getting scammed and losing your home.
  • Having been around for a while now, it’s possible to locate success stories on the web. Since the companies started popping up online and in the local malls, many people have so far managed to sell their properties quickly and for cash. Those who have done so have walked away with a smile on their faces meaning that not all companies in the industry are bad.

Are They Regulated?

Regulation is among the things to look for when in search of a service provider. When an industry is regulated, it means customers can receive help from the bodies in charge in case a transaction doesn’t go as planned. It also means there will be fewer chances of the industry being populated by scammers and con artists.

When it comes to the ‘We Buy Any House’ industry, you should note that this industry isn’t under regulation as of this time. This means any person looking to sell their home for quick cash is not protected in any way. It, therefore, calls for one to proceed with caution when looking to transact with companies in this sector.

Nonetheless, NAPB (the National Association of Property Buyers) has made it mandatory for its members to sign up with TPOS (The Property Ombudsman). In addition to registering with TPOS, members will also need to strictly adhere to the Code of Practice put in place by the association.

Homeowners who work with companies registered with TPOS or which are members of NAPB are at an advantage as they can easily get redress in case a dispute emerges. The main takeaway here is to confirm the company is registered with TPOS and NAPB before you can transact any further.

Comparing High Street Real Estate Agents with ‘We Buy Any House

High Street Real Estate Agent We Buy Any House Companies
Sale Price Guaranteed to get a better price for the property, i.e., its full market value Companies will likely pay between 75-90% of the current market value
Service Cost 1-3% of the total selling price + legal expenses While many state there are no fees included, this could as well be a misleading statement. Keep in mind that legal expenses will also be considered for the below market value (BMV) offer
Time At least 3 months
Delays and complications are common in this kind of sales, more so when the market is slow. They may also arise when you find yourself at the heart of a chain (which occurs in almost all sales)
Between 7 to 14 days
Regulation Legally obligated to be a member of at least one of the three available compulsory redress schemes At the moment, there is no legal requirement for companies to be regulated. However, some have taken the initiative to sign up for various redress schemes.
Effort You may be required to participate in price negotiations or to arrange viewings for potential buyers Little to no effort is required on your part


Pros of We Buy Any House Companies

1. Sell the Home Fast


As shown in the chart above, the ‘We Buy Any House Companies’ aim to complete the sale process as fast as they can.

For homeowners who have previously had to sell a house using traditional means, i.e., using realtors, then you are conversant with the delays that can arise. This can cause the sale process to drag on for weeks or even months.

When dealing with investors interested in making cash purchases, chances are the process will be completed in a matter of days.

2. Get a No-Obligation Offer


Dealing with these firms means you will get to receive a ‘no strings attached’ offer. For the offer to be made, a representative from the company will need to take a walk through the property to assess it. An inspection will then follow before a decision is made on how much to offer you.

Upon receiving the offer, it will be up to you to decide whether to take it immediately or whether to take a few days to think it over.

We Buy Any House Companies in the UK fully understand selling isn’t an easy decision and will allow you enough time to consider your options.

3. The Whole Process Is Simple


The selling process is hassle-free and straight to the point. All you will need to do is to get in touch with a firm in this industry and receive an offer. In case you accept the offer on the table, the company will move in and take care of everything else. The firm will handle all the paperwork and even handle the costs associated with the closing process.

You get to receive the cash when everything else has been completed.

4. Get to Sell Your Home for Any Reason


With companies in this industry, you don’t have to provide a concrete reason for selling. You can choose to sell because of a looming foreclosure or to assist you to get out of a financial jam.

Regular reasons for selling including a divorce, unexpected legal or medical bills, or even bills from debt collectors. All these are situations requiring you to raise cash quickly.

Engaging the We Buy Any House Companies means you will receive cash to enable you to clear all your pending bills.



1. You Get to Sell Below the Market Price


When you are selling with a realtor, it means you stand an opportunity to walk away with the full asking price. The realtor will be actively looking for buyers who meet your requirements. With the We Buy Any House Companies, you get to sell for much less as you are in desperate need of cash. You, therefore, get to lose out on potential profits, especially if the house is in great shape.

2. You Don’t Have Control Over the Sale

Immediately you accept to work with these companies, it means they get to take over the selling process. Keep in mind that the companies only deal with homeowners who no longer care or are in urgent need of a cash influx. If you aren’t desperate and still want to get the most out of the sale, you may want to consider using a realtor.

Alternative Online Estate Agents


Selling your house to We Buy Any House companies isn’t the only option available to you as a homeowner. It’s always advisable to take some time and review the options present before you take the next step.

If working with a traditional real estate agent is an option you aren’t willing to consider, then use the internet to research other alternatives. Commonly recommended alternatives in the UK include Tepilo, Emoov, Purplebricks, ,HouseSimple and Doorsteps.

All these are viable alternative online estate agents who will provide cheaper selling costs, and which won’t make you feel as though you are giving away your house.

There is also a new alternative property selling service provided by they offer to market your property.

They offer: No fixed fees and no commission

They even pay your legal costs

Sell within 30 days

They then market your property on rightmove, Zoopla and PrimeLocation which are most of the largest property portals selling property in the UK.

All they ask is that they get exclusive rights to market your property for 30 days. You also agree the selling price before they market your property.

There have never been so many ways to sell your property, so take your time and do your research to ensure whatever you decide to do is right for you. There is no one size its all.